Monday, April 18, 2011

All-Star

Brad and I want to expand our food horizons, and we thought one fun way would be to try some of the unusual fruits you see in the grocery store.  Our first experimental fruit is a star fruit.  Star fruits are a good source of vitamin C and fibre, low fat and only 30 calories per fruit, naturally sodium and cholesterol free, and full of antioxidants.

The star fruit. We found out after that this is a little over ripe.  You don't want yours to be at all brown.

You have to cut the corners off first because they are very tough.  The rest of the skin stays.


Sliced and ready to eat.

They were pretty good.  Brad and I split the whole fruit half and half, and we both found that to be too much.  The flavour is not something we were used to, and I think it takes some getting accustomed to.  I think it would be great with a fruit dip or in a fruit salad.  It was definitely something interesting to spice up the usual apples and bananas.

Bonus:

I found this website today, Simple Steps, thought it was cool, and thus I wanted to share it will all of you.  There is an interactive household savings calculator that shows you mostly simple changes you can make in your house and calculates how much money you will save based on your information.  Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Great calculator!

    I was looking at start fruits just last week and trying to decide whether or not to buy one. I think I will now! Well, when I get back from BC. See you soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete