Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Zoodles" - Zucchini Noodles

While perusing Pinterest I came across this amazing creation: zucchini noodles!  I have now renamed them "zoodles."  Zucchini is my favourite vegetable, and throughout the summer we were eating about one a day.  I always like finding new ways to prepare it.  This was something I had never seen before.  I am sure there plenty of different ways to cook them, and some people I've seen even leave them raw.  This is how we made ours.

Zucchini Noodles

1. Thinly slice zucchini into noodle-like strips.  If you have one, using a mandolin, peeler, or spiralizer might make work faster, but we just used a knife.
2. In a frying pan, lightly sautee with extra virgin olive oil and garlic.
3. Top with pasta sauce of choice.  Ours is a homemade tomato based sauce with chick peas.  Other vegetables, beans, or meat could easily be added.


Bon appetite!

It was so tasty!  We actually sliced up 2 big zucchinis right afterwards and froze them so that we will be able to make this even quicker for future meals.  The zucchini works wonderfully as a pasta substitute which adds more vegetables and eliminates some carbs from the meal (though I know carbs aren't all bad).  It is also a great option for those with gluten intolerance.  We will be eating plenty more of this in the future.

What unconventional vegetable dishes have you tried?

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I have heard of spaghetti squash noodles, but not these. I also love zucchini!

    ReplyDelete