Monday, February 6, 2012

Cold Hands, Warm Heart - Hand Warmers

We only have one car, and thus Brad spends a lot of time outside waiting for the bus.  Usually this isn't a big deal, but at 6 in the morning through the winter, it's certainly not enjoyable.  For this reason, I made Brad hand warmers for a stocking stuffer at Christmas.  It was simple and cheap.  I had all the materials in my house already.  Plus, these use natural products and are reusable as opposed to the processed, disposable kind.

Hand Warmers

What you need:
-felt/wool/fleece (I used scraps of felt from another project. An old or worn out sweater or blanket would be another great option.)
-needle and thread
-rice

Cut fabric into reasonable size pieces.  I cut mine into circles 2 3/4 inches in diameter.  Sew two together along the edges leaving a gap of about an inch.

Carefully pour 1-2 tsp of rice into the packet.  Sew the gap shut and tie.
To use:
Warm in microwave/oven/toaster oven.  If using an oven or toaster oven, lay on the rack.  Place into pockets, gloves, boots, slippers or anywhere else for extra warmth.  Great for waiting for the bus, watching outdoor sporting events, engaging in winter sports, walking in cold weather, etc.  No chemicals and no disposal.

It's so easy.  Once they've warmed up, they hold their heat well.  I recommend them.

What have you done to combat the cold weather?

6 comments:

  1. Flax seed is another great filler for hand warmers. It keeps the heat better and won't dry out as much. I helped my little sister make some for my mom for Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I have used flax seeds in an eye pillow I made, and it works wonders as well. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. This is great. I have been trying to figure something out for the kids when the do papers. This is perfect! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Texas, so, it doesn't really get that cold. Good info in case I ever move some place where it gets cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, i saw this idea on pinterest as well. However, they didn't mention how long the heat lasts.. how long did yours stay warm?

    ReplyDelete